Ecopreneurs for the Climate in Reading Climate LAB
28 October 2016
Suggested #ECO4CLIM_Rdg Climate Innovation +Jobs Strategy
Empower the local government to create an inclusive accessible city (social inclusion and access to water, sanitation or electricity in high-risk areas) and shared development in accordance with the New Urban Agenda, the UN Habitat III framework. Implement new strategies to meet the sustainable development goals.
- Comprehensive Cycle Network
- Monthly Car-Free Work-Day, instigated by the Council
- 25% Energy Self-Sufficiency from Berkshire renewables (PV roofs rather than panels) and Energy Storage
- 25% Food Vegan Self-Sufficiency
- Complete pesticides, monsanto and shale gas extraction ban
- 25% of new homes Passive House or better
- One city area dedicated to a Net Zero district, a green city showcase area.
- Hydro-electric Dam up and running
- All street lights maximum 3000K CCT + switched off/dimmed after midnight (BLACK NETWORK)
- Waste collection system based on same county rules
- Planning for disaster response. Prepare an urban climatic emergency evacuation plan, should be preceded by skilled and realistic capacity building effectiveness drills due to post-evacuation considerations and evaluation
- Make sure pollution from city growth activities does not increase
“Improve our understanding of climate risks and opportunities for innovation.
Continue ongoing work into innovative phosphorus treatment trials for treating
sewage effluent 2016 – 2020. Assess innovation opportunities that prevent, detect or improve our response to incidents, and build these into existing improvement projects or new research projects 2016 – 2017. Input into a review on innovative construction materials to assess whether they can improve the performance of assets, extend design life and reduce on-going maintenance costs 2016 – 2020. Update our sustainable procurement guidance and tools to incorporate the consideration of those category purchases which have a high vulnerability to climate related risks that may affect the goods, services and works we buy, seeking alternatives through innovation and market development where relevant. 2016 – 2017~EA UK”
- Address how existing armed forces and military reserves (civil) can become an urban stakeholder resource and partnership with the civil society and local authorities
- Green public institutions that have divested/invested
- Organic farming, Char grow, Hemp cultivation and biological corridors (BROWN NETWORK)
- Diverse Eco-friendly building materials and pillar construction
Connect regional and local city grids and networks to fulfil Agenda 2030 Global Goals. Fully developed partnership governance
- Car Free Town Centre
- Comprehensive Tram/Podcar/Monorail Network “Garden Ring”
- 50% Energy Self-Sufficiency from Berkshire renewables
- 50% Food Self-Sufficiency
- 50% of all new homes Passive House or better (25% of old stock)
- Air Quality up to WHO standards.
- Reading Dark Sky Status
- Shaded and underground open spaces
- Network of fire corridors, also for wildlife (GREEN NETWORK)
- Fully developed decrease plan in place to prevent further urban sprawl
- Sharing economy in full bloom
- Cradle to cradle “second life” product cycles
- Replace pipes with sponge districts to manage rain and flooding risks
- Existing armed forces and military reserves become a stakeholder in joint partnership with the civil society and local authorities.
- Landmark green vegetation cultural buildings to tackle clean soil, water and air
- Implementation of designed layers for restoration and safeguarding of ecosystems and biodiversity
- Natural urban rivers and riverbank for flood control (BLUE NETWORK)
Reading City – Clean soil, clean water and clean air to slow global warming
- 100% Fossil Free Reading
- Reading Garden City with Green Roofs, Shaded Biodiversity Zones, Wildlife Corridors, Incredible Edibles and the right to an allotment for every household.
- Comprehensive air-ship docking connectors to Tram/Podcar/Monorail Network “Garden Balloon” for regional transport, heavy duty and tourism.
- Covered “Walkable Urbanism” protecting against acid rains
- 100% Energy Self-Sufficiency from Berkshire’s renewables
- 70% Food Self-Sufficiency
- 100% of new homes Passive House or better
- Fully developed Climatic Emergency Evacuation Response Programme with specifically designed multi-functional usage protection zones against floods and superstorms, with capacity for 50-100:000 people.
- Reading a net producer to Berkshire’s energy grid
- Landmark green vegetation infrastructure to tackle clean soil, water, air and wildlife
Ecopreneurs for the climate” was held on 28 October in the Oakwood Centre. With the celebration of this event, Reading joined “the Global Week Green Economy and Climate Movement” which was held in 24 cities around the world, from Barcelona to Tokyo to Santiago de Chile.
“In Climate Change Reading Centre’s opinion, the involvement of Reading in this global event “puts the city on the map of the carbon free economy, not only based on numbers but on people, economy and environmental sustainability” and demonstrates “Reading becoming involved in the global city agenda.” When looking at small exclusive groups like Reading 2050 it becomes clear that one cannot work in isolation. Legal frameworks and guidelines for urban sustainable opportunities are essential for a city’s prosperity.”
Carl Emerson-Dam and Tanja Rebel, organisers of the conference, explained the details of the next Conference which will be divided into two parts:
The first part a “LABoratory of Innovation Climate”, will be dedicated to the diagnosis and analysis of climate problems facing Reading, connecting the dots. The second part will consist of the delivery of the “Climate Champions Awards” at the next Climate LAB of end of March singling out sustainable projects. The awards will be divided into two categories: one for established companies and a second, for entrepreneurs with projects still undeveloped. A jury and the public attending the conference will facilitate the prizes.
To participate in the conference, you need to register on the below website and select city www.ecopreneurs4climate.org
Please note that RBC have for three years neglected to apply for the European Green Capital award, a process where you go through and assess 16 development areas to become a green city, giving access to much needed funding. Due to Brexit, there is only one window of opportunity left. European Green Capital is open until 2019
Climate Organiser – Climate Change Center Reading / ECO4CLIM_16
Contact info – eco4clim @ cccrdg .org .uk
On Twitter – @ECO4CLIM_Rdg @ClimateMovement
#climatechance #COP22 #innovation #cities #Climathon #CWNYC #innovationmonth #InnoTrans2016 #Business #RE100 #Sustainability #ParisAgreement #AccordDeParis #SDG11 #Changemaker #villes #regions #smartcities #startup #energy #entrepreneur #climat #climate #renewable #economy #netzero #energystorage #BatteryStorage #Photosyntesis